Chapter 3 covers the issues of clinical assessment, diagnosis, and treatment. We will define assessment and then describe key issues such as reliability, validity, standardization, and specific methods that are used. In terms of clinical diagnosis, we will discuss the two main classification systems used around the world – the DSM-5 and ICD-10. Finally, we discuss reasons why people may seek treatment and what to expect when doing so.
- 3.1. Clinical Assessment of Abnormal Behavior
- 3.2. Diagnosing and Classifying Abnormal Behavior
- 3.3. Treatment of Mental Disorders – An Overview
Chapter Learning Outcomes
- Describe clinical assessment and methods used in it.
- Clarify how mental health professionals diagnosis mental disorders in a standardized way.
- Discuss reasons to seek treatment and the importance of psychotherapy